Curriculum - Maths
Hernhill Church of England Primary School has universal ambitions for every child, whatever their background or circumstances. Teachers are knowledgeable of and incorporate the Mainstream Core Standards to ensure all children learn and thrive at Hernhill.
Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment.
By the end of key stage 2, children will be able to
- achieve their full potential in all aspects of Maths.
- use the four calculation operations with confidence and be able to apply them when required to different areas of mathematical learning.
- show fluency when mentally calculating.
- use appropriate strategies when problem solving and investigating involving number, measure, shape, space and worded tasks.
- verbalise and justify clearly methods used.
- develop their oral and listening skills through whole class maths discussions, working alongside peers in small groups and paired work.
- develop a broad, rich mathematical vocabulary, with depth of understanding to articulate and elaborate their oral and written responses clearly.
- confidently communicate ideas and knowledge through informal dialogue, debate and demonstrations with and to others.
HOW WE TEACH MATHS
We use a number of different resources to ensure all children achieve in maths. In Reception, the daily maths sessions follow Numicon Firm Foundations.
In Years 1 to 6, we use a Mastery approach to teaching mathematics using the White Rose Materials as a basis for our teaching. Teachers are also encouraged to draw from a wider range of resources and planning including numicon, Target your maths, NRich and other online planning.
All children have personal logins so they can practise and play the games at school and home.